According to the Pre-K for PA Campaign, 69% of three and four-year-olds in Pennsylvania do not have access to high-quality, early education. In addition, the average cost of Pre-K for one year is $8,500. In response to these challenges, Pennsylvania created The Educational Improvement Tax Credit Program (EITC), giving businesses an opportunity to direct a portion of its tax credits to organizations that distribute Pre-K scholarships to at-risk families.
As a newly approved scholarship organization for the EITC program, PAEYC is now able to provide Pre-K scholarships to qualifying families.
What are the scholarship eligibility requirements?
- Must be a resident of Allegheny, Armstrong, Beaver, Butler, Fayette, Greene, Indiana, Lawrence, Washington, or Westmoreland County;
- Child Applicant must be three or four years of age by beginning of school year;
- Registered, enrolled, and/or attending a high-quality Pre-K program located in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. High quality is defined as being NAEYC Accredited, having a 3 or 4 Keystone STAR rating, or a Pre-K Counts program; and
- A member of a household with an annual household income of not more than $77,648, except that an additional income allowance of $15,530 is permitted for the student, and for each other dependent as defined by the IRS living within the same household.
What benefits will your family receive?
- Full or partial scholarship money to pay for up to one year’s tuition at a 3 or 4 Star Keystone rated, or NAEYC accredited preschool of the parents choosing. Scholarship can also be used for Pre-K Counts programs or public school district Pre-K programs that require tuition payment;
- Parents may choose a half day or full day program for their child; and
- Tuition can also include school-related fees charged by a Pre-K program. School-related fees include fees charged by a school to all students for books, instructional materials, technology equipment and services, uniforms, and activities.
- June 1, 2017
- September 1, 2017
- December 1, 2017
- March 1, 2018
PAEYC EITC Pre-K Scholarship Program
5604 Solway Street
Pittsburgh, PA 15217
A Policies and Procedures Agreement for Families MUST be submitted along with the application. Click here to print and complete. Once the scholarship is approved, families MUST submit a Scholarship Payment Agreement which will be distributed at that time.